Thursday, September 26, 2013

Exercise 4: Book Covers

Analogous

Compliment
Split Compliment
I decided to do A Midsumer Night's Dream for this assignment. Not because it is my favorite book, but because Little Theatre is doing it for their mainstage. I decided that my background should go with the greens in the trees and that I would adjust my type to complete the assignment. For my split compliment, I decided to move my type around in order to properly see the letters in the dark background. I liked the tilting of the words, but I could not figure out how to make the book title stand out more than "William Shakespeare." I think this may be something that I have to work on in the end. However, I enjoy the look of monochromatic designs and I find myself using that design subconsciously when I am fooling around with Photoshop and Illustrator. I like the compliments and the split. I think I could have used the orange in the sky for my background and it would have worked out better for me, but I am very stubborn and I like how the image blends into the background, making the sky and subtle color changes in the image stand out more.

Note: I lost the image I used in the Google Universe. I will find it when I have more time.
Note 2: I am playing Puck in Little Theatre's "A Midsummer Night's Dream"
Analogous

Complement
Split Compliment
Tetrad
After the class discussion on October 1, 2013,  I decided to do something different. First of all I saved the image to a PNG file. I also decided to design my own cover for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" on illustrator.  I made it pretty simple because I just wanted to get some more practice with color and with margins. I also just really like simple designs because they do not take away from the subject that you are talking about. Because this is the "Deathly Hallows," I decided that the minimum of that symbol would be needed, not some grand painting of Harry on an albino dragon flying over London. I really liked the compliment scheme because of the influence of green and red in the series. I could go into this, but we do not have that much time. I also decided to experiment with the tetrad color scheme because it had the color of all 4 houses in the Harry Potter universe. It was really just for funzies.

The font was from http://www.dafont.com/harry-p.font
Not sure if I could use this legally...

Lastly I decided to get even more comfortable with the pen tool and with color schemes and drew this out for my brother, who is graduating from college in May, 2014. I  used a monochromatic color scheme and while it could still use some work; there are some angles I could fix, some gradient things and some other type things, I am proud of my work. My brother now has this as his cover photo on Facebook and it has 31 likes as of 3:10pm on October 1, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment